In my earlier post describing NX-8170-G7 and NX-3170-G6 DPTPB Nutanix Dynamic Visio shapes, I was hoping more supported disk layouts for NX-8170-G7:
“I am happy to finally see option to have a all-NVMe setup for the most I/O hungry workloads. But it is my sincere hope that Nutanix will add more supported disk layouts for NX-8170-G7. Or at least give us option to partially populate the NX-8170-G7 with NVMe drives.”
It seems that my wish has been granted 🙂 As of AOS 5.18 partial population of NVMe disk bays is now supported. (Only with with AHV, not with ESXi or Hyper-V, not sure why)
Making this update was fairly straightforward. Only one line of code changed, a list containing supported disk configurations for NX-8170-G7. The dynamic nature of DPTPB shapes took care of the rest.
NX-8170-G7 DPTPB Dynamic Visio Shape Examples
Example: Front View NX-8170-G7 with Bezel
Example: Front View NX-8170-G7 NVMe (2×3.68TB NVMe):
Example: Front View NX-8170-G7 NVMe (4×7.68TB NVMe):
Example: Front View NX-8170-G7 NVMe (6×1.92TB NVMe):
Nutanix Spec Sheet Errata
I’ve covered various errors found in Nutanix spec sheets in-depth in a separate post Nutanix Spec Sheet Errata and Unofficial DPTPB Nutanix Dynamic Visio Shapes: NX-3170-G7 & Minor updates. It seems that someone at Nutanix has noticed my posts, since they have decided to cleanup the documentation regarding NIC port form factors. With the latest spec sheets there are no misleading form factors anymore, like sfp+ used with 25GbE ports (when it should be sfp28).
So the spec sheets are getting better, but are unfortunately far from perfect, many of the issues described in my earlier posts are still present.
Updates to other existing DPTPB Nutanix shapes
Spec sheets used
Above information is based on following Nutanix NX appliance spec sheets
- System Specifications for Single-Node G7 Platforms
- Aug 4, 2020
- See separate post: Limitations
Comments regarding any possible bugs can be left in the comments section of this post, your help is much appreciated
- Please visit the Nutanix stencil download page for the latest stencil package.
- Since these are unofficial Visio shapes, they are not available on visiocafe.com, where the official stencil package resides.
- Front & Rear View Shape usage
- Cables & Labels
- NX-1175S-G7 & NX-1175S-G6
- NX-1065-G7 /-G6 & NX-3060-G7 /-G6
- NX-8150-G7 & NX-8155-G7/ -G6 & NX-5155-G6
- NX-8035-G7 & NX-8035-G6
- NX-8170-G7 & NX-3170-G6
- NX-3155-G7 & NX-3155-G6
- Non-Dynamic mode
- Custom Disk Sizes
- Disk Size Validity Checks
- Why unofficial shapes?
- Update Notes
- NX-3170-G7 & Minor updates
- NX-8170-G7 with partially populated NVMe bays (this post)
- NX-1120S-G7 & Minor Updates